It seems like every day there is a new digital product or invention that causes us to use our phones more, be on the computer, and stay involved in a digital world. Many of these products are made to keep you focused on screens and the digital world, using things like notifications, alerts and messages. There are studies that show the more we stay connected to the digital world, especially with more “social” apps, the more we are actually becoming isolated, and it can affect our mental health.
But is there also a place in the world for digital products and services that can help mental health? The answer is, Yes.
Manage many mental health needs with online therapy
Online therapy, in many forms, can help improve mental health and well-being, communication skills, motor skills, and even daily life skills. These are through teletherapy services such as online Speech Therapy, Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy, as well as counseling. In fact, there are many ways that counseling is utilizing the online world to help support mental health and well-being.
A recent article from US News shares some of the benefits of going online with your therapy, such as more access and affordability. And this is just the beginning. Here are three examples.
Apps for your phone and tablet
- Apps make it super easy to access mental health resources anywhere, any time. Most of these apps help you improve your mental health using tools, such as meditation and mindfulness, during your day. These focus on giving you tools and practices to improve overall well-being, rather than one-on-one therapy. A few examples are popular apps such as:
- There are also apps such as TalkSpace, that offer therapy services, mixed with these mindfulness techniques in an app form.
- Telehealth, the field teletherapy comes from, is a way of bringing healthcare professionals to you virtually. There are many counselors who utilize this approach through apps and sites such as TalkSpace and BetterHelp.
- Other counselors can incorporate this into their private practice model, either combining virtual and in-person sessions, or only virtual.
- Teletherapy provides a way for schools to provide mental health services. Many school districts have difficulty finding candidates for these positions. Other schools are virtual schools. Either way, the teletherapy model can be used to provide students with counseling, social work or psych as needed in their IEPs.
In a world that is going more digital and online each day, online therapy can be used to help you gain more access and improve mental well-being. Rather than staying isolated or ignoring mental health, for you or your school, online therapy can help you connect in a way that matters most.
E-Therapy provides schools with counselors
At E-Therapy, we connect highly trained counselors with schools in need, to provide these therapy-based mental health services. You can find out more about joining the E-Therapy counseling team, or schedule a demo to see how it could work for your school here.